Honduras Trip

I traveled to Honduras on March 25 for 2 weeks. I volunteered in the Light and Life Maternity Clinic in Santa Barbara, San Luis. The Clinic is a mission outreach of Evangelistic Faith Missions, a non-denominational mission work based in Bedford, Indiana.

You can find more information about Honduras by clicking here.


Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Today was the day to get settled in. I spent part of the morning working on unpacking my suitcases, then went over to the clinic to see if there were any babies. There was one baby and mother, who were getting ready to go home. The baby boy pictured received a Baby Layette from Austin B. and Nell B. covered the expenses of his stay. I bathed and dressed him in order to get him ready to leave but wasn’t at the clinic when his father came to get them. Mirna (the receptionist) took the picture of the mother and family for me. Mirna practiced taking pictures of Larissa and me, so some of these pictures a a little fuzzy! I had lunch with Sarah & Zach and then helped out with Larissa in the early afternoon. Tiffany and Daniel were in San Pedro Sula until about 5:00 pm, so I wasn’t able to get started at the clinic. I did go over to the clinic during the evening shift for a little while and visited with Miriam, the head nurse. By this time there were no admitted patients and we had time to talk. I will probably be working mostly day shifts when the receptionist is there to help me with the billing, the language and the walk-in concerns (individuals wanting medicine or injections).
I will be covering shifts for Maribel so that she can have vacation. Miriam also may need to take some time off. Her mother-in-law is quite ill, and has been moved to Miriam’s house for care. Her daughter is here as well to be with her. Miriam needs to stay close to home in case her mother-in-law worsens. They do not think that she will live much longer. The picture I have of her and Miriam is from 2001. She didn’t want me to take her picture at all, but allowed me to take one with her & Miriam.
The Institute students had PE today and Zach was in charge. The girls played kickball while the boys played soccer. I took a few pictures of them as well as some of the flowering trees. The bougainvillea is in full-bloom and very beautiful. Orchids are actually parasitic plants. The one pictures here on this tree has a very small flower. I tried to get a good close-up but with the fading light, it wasn't in clear focus.
When the Meltons arrived, we had dinner together at the Robberts house. Afterwards I played some with boys before it was time for bed. Mornings come early here, and nights as well. The sun has been up for about an hour when my alarm goes off at 6:00 am. Also Honduras is 2 hours different than Indianapolis, so my sense of timing is still readjusting. I was very tired and had no trouble falling to sleep tonight!

No comments: