Honduras Trip

I traveled to Honduras on March 25 for 2 weeks. I volunteered in the Light and Life Maternity Clinic in Santa Barbara, San Luis. The Clinic is a mission outreach of Evangelistic Faith Missions, a non-denominational mission work based in Bedford, Indiana.

You can find more information about Honduras by clicking here.


Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Some surprises...

The first surprise of the day was that an embargo was in effect for travel to Honduras and I could not take an extra suitcase with me, nor could I pay to transport luggage heavier than 50#. I had a mad scramble in the airport, moving items from one suitcase to the other. Fortunately I had packed the “must-go” items in the bottom of the first 2 suitcases, and just had to figure out what to leave behind. I was glad that Cindy came with me inside the airport and could help take the extra suitcase home.
I arrived in Honduras about 10:30 local time. It took quite a while to get through Immigration, but Daniel met me in Customs and I didn’t even have to open a suitcase. This was an answer to prayer!
Both the Robberts (Sarah, Zach & Larissa) and the Meltons (Daniel, Tiffany, Kendrick & Kaleb) met me at the airport. It was good to see Sarah again, and nice to meet everyone else for the first time. We had lunch together, then ran a few errands before the Robberts and I headed back to San Luis (about a 2 hour drive over some very rough roads through the mountains). The Meltons had more work to do in San Pedro Sula and will come to San Luis tomorrow.
By the time we had the car unloaded, it was starting to get dark. We carried my bags to the small house where I will be staying. I unpacked a little, but left most of it for tomorrow. The second surprise of the day was the temperature. It is usually very warm and humid in San Pedro Sula (mostly 90s or more) and more like 70-80s in San Luis. Today it was cold enough in San Luis that I went to bed with 3 blankets on! I brought a sweater (which I didn’t think I would need) but I’ll probably wear it tomorrow.

No comments: